Thursday 12 April 2018

The Aussie film that just will not get out of my head (Rabbit, 2017)

Falling down the rabbit hole has never been so mesmerising.


I’m finally getting to write about a film I saw last month. It has been running through my mind ever since I viewed it and has me itching to see it again. Rabbit (2017, directed by Luke Shanahan) is a horror movie but it is also a spellbinding one.

Maude’s twin sister Cleo went missing and she is plagued by dreams of her in danger, possibly being tortured. After collapsing for an unknown reason Maude (Adelaide Clemens) returns home to Australia to find the place in her visions and rescue Cleo. Her search leads her to a caravan park deep in the backwoods. Everyone in the caravan park acts strange and the only trust worthy people seem to be a presentable couple who agree to help Maude find her twin.

The film turns on its head pretty spectacularly, I wouldn’t describe where the film goes as a mere plot twist, rather the effect was akin to that first downward plunge on a rollercoaster. Rabbit is definitely a wild ride. This is a film where going in blind is definitely a good idea so I’m purposely being vague even though I want to dive into how much I loved every aspect of the film.

Rabbit is absolutely beautiful- from the misty Pinetree forest to the ornate and beautiful houses, that being said the beauty of the film is juxtaposed by its utter malevolence. The film is both dreamlike and nightmarish- reflecting its themes (of dreams and twins) perfectly. With it’s strange characters and unexplained situations, along with its themes of child abuse and human experimentation, Rabbit is thoroughly menacing but could I look away for one second? Absolutely not- Rabbit is utterly entrancing

It’s hard to pick one thing the film does particularly well as it gets so many elements of filmmaking right, but the use of sound in this film is a big winner.
Rabbit is a strong example of how right it can go when film makers experiment within the realms of creativity. Aggressive, operatic scores are used throughout and are harsh on the senses, these jarring uses of sound reminding me of an Aregento film. Also, thirteen-year-old me resurfaced and cheered at the eerie Rammstein cover which totally took me by surprise but it was awesome, I had a huge nostalgic grin on my face despite the scene not being funny.

For me, Rabbit had a lot of similarities to other genre films. The crazy plot reminded me of films by Yorgos Lanthimos especially The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017) and Dogtooth (2009), while the use of children and experiments brought back scenes from French film Evolution (2015, directed by Lucile Hadzihalilovic). Although nowhere near as violent Rabbit also can also be compared to horror classic Martyrs (2008, directed by Pascal Laugier) and brings up similar images to Michael Haneke’s Funny Games (2007). After all these comparisons it is clear to me that Rabbit rejects anything Hollywood or mainstream- looks like Australia can dish out the obscure and frightening as much as Europe can.

It’s something completely unique and I know it will capture the minds of anyone who sees it. People will be talking about it from the time they see it at least, I know I will be. I’m interested to see what else this director can pull out of his hat.
I’m giving rabbit a 9.5/10




No comments:

Post a Comment